The African Innovation Foundation (AIF) opened its 2018 Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA) applications. The IPA main purpose is to strengthen African innovation ecosystems through supporting a culture of innovation and competitiveness, whilst spurring growth of innovative, market-driven African solutions to African challenges.
IPA 2018 PRIORITY AREAS
The IPA 2018 recognizes innovative breakthroughs that unlock new African potential in the following five priority areas:
Innovations that have demonstrated a lead in the agricultural sector, particularly value added at specific points of the agricultural value-chain. It is about providing new ways to ensure a food-secure future for the African continent and the world.
- Environment, Energy and Water
Innovations that have demonstrated a lead in developing or applying cost-effective, smart renewable energy generation processes, cleaner water and sanitation supply systems etc.
- Health and Well-being
Innovations that have demonstrated high impact or potential in improving the physical, mental, and social well-being of individuals or communities through prevention, diagnosis and treatment. It is about finding new, cheaper, accessible and faster ways to detect and treat to ensure longer, happier and healthier lives.
- Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs)
Innovative ICTs applications that have demonstrated their potential in addressing key development challenges in African societies (e.g. in communities) or economy, including: software, mobile/wireless technologies and local language software.
- Manufacturing and Service Industry
Innovations that have demonstrated a lead on addressing the key pillars of innovation in production and service /industry: creating high added-value, greener, more customer focused and/or high-quality products and services; manufacturing more with less input materials, using the lowest energy and creating less or zero waste; introducing effective and efficient process in a production value chain
Out of the ten applications approved, three will be selected after face-to-face interviews for the top 3 prizes while the remaining seven shall receive recognition prizes. See details below:
- First Prize (US$ 100 000): The overall winner who represents the best of the applicants in terms of innovativeness of their solution, the commercial and scalability potential and social impact.
- Second Prize (US$ 25 000): The innovator who best demonstrates a commercially-driven business innovation. Beyond the aforementioned five criteria, this Award will be carefully assessed on its marketability and commercial potential.
- Special Prize for Social Impact (US$ 25,000): The innovation that demonstrates the greatest social impact.
- Recognition Prizes (US$ 5,000): the remaining seven shall receive a voucher in recognition of advancement of their innovation to the finalist stage.
All applications must be made online through the Innovation Prize for Africa website. For more details and guidelines on how to go about the application process read more.
Deadline for Applications: 10 January 2018, 23.59h GMT
What are you waiting for if you have an innovative idea, apply for the Innovation Prize for Africa!